Valuation Office Survey. Valuers Field Book (NATIONAL ARCHIVES. Map Room.)
Normansfield. Extent 40 acres. 40.081
Normansfield with the following houses and land used in conjunction therewith:
Maisonette, North Villa, South Villa and Hope Villa in Kingston Road, Conifers in Kingston Road, Trematon in Broom Road. Laundry, Farm Buildings, Land between Kingston Road and Broom Road. Plot in Holmsdale Road. Plot and Boat House on land side of Broom Road.
40 acres at £350 £14,000
Difference balance, being portion of market value attributable to structures, timber etc. £22,000
Divided as follows:
- Buildings and structures £21,000
- Timber £200
- Market value of Fee Simple of whole in its present condition. £36,000
- Gross Value £36,000
- Total Value £36,000
- Expense of clearing site £22,000
- Assesable Site Value £14,000
- If agricultural land, the value for agricultural purposes £44 @ 25y 8 acres £11,000
The valuation was required because the Government at the time was trying, without success to capture the value of new building work. Looking at calculators on the internet, the cost to the Langdon Downs of their property acquisitions, building works and tree planting in today’s money was circa £31,490,000.