1911 – 1914


Mental Deficiency Act. The main building became a certified house.

The North Wing accommodated male patients.

The South Wing female patients and children

Conifers and Trematon became approved homes, Conifers for higher grade  women and Trematon for higher grade men.

Farm Orchard Stella Brain (rt) Residents club (lt)

Education, occupational therapy, theraputic work on the farm and in the kitchen garden, and daily exercise in the hospital  grounds were provided for the patients. Annual visits to the south coast were arranged for almost all of the patients up to  the Second World War.


(Street Directory) Dr P Langdon-Down is listed at Normansfield

The Lodge was vacant

South Villa Mrs Briggs (Matron)

Maisonette Occupied by J.C. Harvey

Hope Villa No occupants listed

North Villa No occupants listed