Visits include talks on the history of Dr Langdon Down, Normansfield, the theatre, local history, tour of the building, social history of learning disability.
- Schools: infant schools to secondary. Visits include optional discussion.
- Further and Higher Education studies: health care, social history of learning disability, heritage.
We offer schools and their pupils free visits to the museum and theatre.
Education visits are available for those at infant school to secondary school.
For older children we include discussion activities.
Depending on the age group visits include some or all of the following:
- talk on the history of Dr John Langdon Down, Earlswood and Normansfield
- tour of the museum
- tour of the Victorian theatre
- the short film about James Henry Pullen
- the social history of learning disability
- discussion in small groups of issues about learning disability and general debate
All visits are led by museum staff. Museum staff will lead the session and all materials will be provided.
If you have a particular focus you would like to explore, please let us know so that we can tailor sessions to your specific requirements.
Further and higher education
Students from UK and overseas colleges and universities.
Our talks will be interest to those studying:
- adult social care
- learning disability nursing
- health and medicine
Visits usually last for 2 hours and include:
- a tour of the theatre and museum
- an illustrated talk on the history of Dr John Lanngdon Down and Normansfield
- short film about the life of James Henry Pullen
- short archive films on Normansfield
- work of the Down’s Syndrome Association
- a short walk outside in the grounds if the weather is fine
- All visits need to be booked in advance with the museum.
- Lunchroom space is available
- The museum has full disabled access
Cost of visits
- UK schools: Free
- UK Universities: We ask for a donation
- Foreign Universities: £5 per student
We ask for payment on the day.
Arranging a visit
To arrange a visit please contact:
Lesley Alabaf, Langdon Down Centre Manager
Ian Jones-Healey, Archivist
T: 0333 1212 300